The church of Christ dates back to the days of the New Testament (Romans 16:16). It was founded by Christ on the Day of Pentecost, A.D. 33 (Acts 2), just after His ascension back to heaven. In the years that followed, it rapidly grew to fill Jerusalem, then Judea, Samaria, and finally the whole Roman Empire (Acts 1:8; Colossians 1:23). It was first established in America in the late 1700s, up in the New England states.
The church of Christ is noted for its emphasis upon returning to New Testament Christianity and for its desire to unite all Christians into one body (1 Corinthians 1:10). We believe that the New Testament is the only rule for faith and practice in religious matters (2 Timothy 3:17; I Peter 4:11) and that it must authorize all that is done in Christian worship (Colossians 3:17; Revelation 22:18–19). Thus we try to strictly follow the New Testament. For this reason, only a cappella music is used in worship assemblies and the Lord’s supper is observed every Sunday. We believe the Bible teaches that sinners are saved by faith, repentance, confession, and baptism (John 3:16; Mark 16:16; Acts 2:38; Romans 10:9–10) and that a Christian must remain faithful to the Lord after conversion (Revelation 2:10). The church of Christ is organized with elders, deacons, preachers, and members as in New Testament times (Philippians 1:1).
We believe that Jesus is the Son of God (John 20:30– 31), that the Bible is inspired of God (2 Timothy 3:16– 17), and that Jesus will return to take His kingdom (church) home to God (1 Corinthians 15:24). We emphasize sincere worship (John 4:24), every- member evangelism (Acts 8:4), godly living (Titus 2:11–12), love for each other (John 13:33–34), and helping those in need (James 1:27). We believe that it is possible to have religious unity in a day of division by simply following the New Testament pattern and putting aside human traditions.
To put it simply, the Jacksonville church of Christ is seeking to be the same church one reads about in the New Testament. We aim to restore its doctrine, its practice, its lifestyle, and its zeal.
Brief history of Jacksonville church of Christ
The church of Christ was established in Jacksonville in the 1920s. The first gospel meeting of the Jacksonville church of Christ was in the spring of 1918 in the old Ferrell Building on Alexander Road. C. H. Woodruff of Anniston did the preaching, and six were baptized. They continued to meet there until 1925, when the brethren acquired property on Madison Street where they built a building. The church met there for thirty years before acquiring property on Nesbit Street and building a larger building. They moved into it on December 4, 1960. Since then the church has added other facilities, including a house for its preacher in 1964 (remodeled in 1992; sold and moved in 2000) and the Jacksonville Christian Student Center in 1969 (remodeled in 1992 and 2004). The student center was moved into the old auditorium in 2002. It was completely remodeled in 2009 and an office for the college minister was added in the balcony area.
The church grew rapidly in the in the late 1990s and built a new 10,000 square foot auditorium (seats 469) which was completed in the fall of 2001. A new fellowship hall was added in 2003 (seats 240). The students had been sharing their Student Center building with the church office for many years, so to give both more room, the student center was moved to the old church auditorium in 2004, and the Student Center was converted into office and conference space for the church and House to House/Heart to Heart.